[Autonogram] September 2009 Autonogram

Stevphen Shukaitis stevphen at autonomedia.org
Thu Sep 24 07:35:12 EDT 2009

Greetings Autonogram subscribers,

And so here we find ourselves in September again, the season where
many find themselves back inside the gates of the EduFactory. And here
we are again with another set of updates, information, news and events.

1. Several events & readings with the Unbearables in coming weeks
2. Strategic Reality Dictionary launch event at Eyebeam on September
29th
3. Between Dog & Wolf to be re-issued
4. Tabling at events

+++

1. Events with the Unbearables
Book Release Party @ NYU, Thursday, September 24th, 6:30pm
The Fales Library at NYU invites you to a book party/reading for the
Unbearables’ The Worst Book I Ever Read, Thursday, September 24th, at
6:30. The Fales is on the third floor of the Bobst Library, in the
Philip Johnson building on the south side of Washington Square Park.
A reception will follow.

Readers include: Max Blagg, Janice Eidus, Carl Watson, Chavisa Woods,
Hal Sirowitz, Jill Rapaport, Amy Ouzoonian and Sparrow. Jim Feast will
host, as always.

The Worst Book I Ever Read will be available for the special sale
price of ten dollars.

And if that isn’t enough of the Unbearables for you:
The Unbearables will read From The Worst Book I Ever Read at
Unnameable Books in Brooklyn on Saturday, October 10th, at 6:00 pm.
The readers will be: Carol Wierzbicki, Arthur Nersesian, Bonny
Finberg, Tom Savage, Donald Breckenridge, Tsaurah Litzky, Steve
Dalachinsky and Susan Scutti. Unnameable Books is located at 456
Bergen Street. To get there take any subway to Atlantic or Pacific
Street and walk up Flatbush away from the city, or any train to
Seventh Avenue or Grand Army Plaza and walk down Flatbush Avenue
towards the city.

++++

2. Strategic Reality Dictionary book launch
September 29th, 2009 7 pm
Eyebeam (http://www.eyebeam.org)

Join us for the release of Konrad Becker’s Strategic Reality
Dictionary. Becker will present a compelling slideshow that seeks to
define the terms by which hacktivists and tactical media practitioners
like Critical Art Ensemble and the Yes Men infiltrate and subvert the
global information system.

“Strategic Reality Dictionary offers seventy-two keys to the
construction, imposition and maintenance of contemporary systems of
inclusion and exclusion, which only function for two principle
reasons: because of stealth, and because they are able to engineer our
own unconscious beliefs.” – Brian Holmes

A reception follows. Event co-produced by Autonomedia.

Konrad Becker is an author, artist and producer in the field of
culture and information technology. Director and co-founder of the
Institute for New Culture Technologies/t0, and of Public Netbase from
1994 to 2006, he initiated World-Information.Org, a cultural
intelligence agency. Publications include: Strategic Reality
Dictionary (2009) and Tactical Reality Dictionary (2002).

+++

3. Between Dog & Wolf to be reissued
Those who have been wanting to get their hands on a copy of David Levi
Strauss’ classic exploration of the relation between art, politics,
and aesthetics will be delighted to know that a new printing of the
book will be available in the next few weeks. In this collection of
essays, David Levi Strauss addresses the always conflicted relation
between aesthetics and politics by concentrating on specific instances
– from allopathic art to Desert Storm propaganda, from Columbus’s
legacy to Robert Smithson’s prophesies, and from new art in post-
Soviet Russia to public art in the United States – and by focusing on
the work of artists as various as Grunewald, Jean Genet, Cindy
Sherman, Joseph Beuys and Andy Warhol, Jean-Luc Godard and Anne-Marie
Mizonville, Carolee Schneemann, Andrei Monastyrsky, and Daniel Joseph
Martinez.

4. Upcoming Bookfairs & Events
Autonomedia will be tabling at a number of events and bookfairs in the
coming months. Here are some of the events we will be at during the
early Fall. Come visit us at the following:

– Manchester Anarchist Bookfair (UK), September 26th (http://www.bookfair.org.uk
)
– This is Not a Gateway Festival (UK), October 23rd – 25th (http://www.thisisnotagateway.net
)
– London Anarchist Bookfair (UK), October 24th (http://www.anarchistbookfair.org
)
– Edinburgh Independent Radical Book Fair 2009 (UK), October 28th –
November 1st (http://www.word-power.co.uk)
– The Internet as Playground and Factory, November 12th – 14th, New
School, NYC (http://digitallabor.org)

That’s all for now. More updates and information to come in the next
few weeks.

Cheers + solidarity,
Stevphen

--
:: Autonomedia:: Seditious & Delicious ::
http://www.autonomedia.org