[Autonogram] December 2012 Autonogram: 2013 Calendars! New Books! After the End of the World!

Stevphen Shukaitis stevphen at autonomedia.org
Fri Dec 21 17:42:55 EST 2012

**Greetings Autonogram Subscribers,

Today we can say, just like the Sun Ra song, "it's after the end of
world, don't you know that yet?" To mark the occasion of this non-event
it seemed a good occasion to send out an announcement of new happenings
and releases from Autonomedia, including the 2013 Jubilee Saints
Calendar! (This year the calendar was severely delayed by the near
complete destruction of our usual printers by Hurricane Sandy). Without
further ado, here's the skinny on what we've been up to:

1. 2013 Jubilee Saints Calendar Now Available!

2. New Titles:

Revolution at Point Zero by Silvia Federici

Contract and Contagion by Angela Mitropoulos

Open Utopia by Thomas More & Stephen Duncombe

Dictionary of Operations by Konrad Becker

Cannabis Chassidis by Yoseph Leib ibn Mardachya

Love Does Not Make Me Gentle or Kind by Chavisa Woods

**

+++**

**

1. 2013 Jubilee Saints Calendar Now Available!

**

Autonomedia's Jubilee Saints Calendar for 2013! Our 21st annual wall
calendar, with artwork by James Koehnline, and text by the Autonomedia
Collective.

Hundreds of radical cultural and political heroes are celebrated here,
along with the animating ideas that continue to guide this project -- a
reprieve from the 500-year-long sentence to life-at-hard-labor that the
European colonization of the "New World" and the ensuing devastations of
the rest of the world has represented. It is increasingly clear -- at
the dawn of this new millennium -- that the Planetary Work Machine will
not rule forever!

Celebrate with this calendar on which every day is a holiday!

**

Get one here
<http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=703>!
Buy two and get one free.

**

+++

2. New Titles

Revolution at Point Zero

Silvia Federici

Written between 1974 and the present, Revolution at Point Zero collects
forty years of research and theorizing on the nature of housework,
social reproduction, and women's struggles on this terrain -- to escape
it, to better its conditions, to reconstruct it in ways that provide an
alternative to capitalist relations.

Beginning with Federici's organizational work in the Wages for Housework
movement, the essays collected here unravel the power and politics of
wide but related issues including the international restructuring of
reproductive work and its effects on the sexual division of labor, the
globalization of care work and sex work, the crisis of elder care, the
development of affective labor, and the politics of the commons.

More information <http://www.autonomedia.org/node/168>.

Buy the book here
<http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=693>.

+

Contract and Contagion

Angela Mitropoulos

Contract and Contagionpresents a theoretical approach for understanding
the complex shifts of post-Fordism and neoliberalism by way of a
critical reading of contracts, and through an exploration of the
shifting politics of the household. It focuses on the salient question
of capitalist futurity in order to highlight the simultaneously
intimate, economic and political limits to venturing beyond its horizon.

In capitalist history, as well as in philosophy, finance, migration
politics, and theories of globalisation, contagions simultaneously real,
symbolic and imagined recur. Where political economy understood value in
terms of labour, Contract and Contagion argues that the law of value is
the law of the household (oikonomia).

In this book Angela Mitropoulos takes up current and historical theories
of affect, intimacy, labour and speculation to elaborate a queer,
anti-racist, feminist Marxism, which is to say: a Marxism preoccupied
not with the seizure of opportunity to take power, form government, or
represent an identity, but a Marxism which partakes of the uncertain
movements that break the bonds of fate.

More information <http://www.minorcompositions.info/?p=482>.

Buy the book here
<http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=701>.

+

Open Utopia

Thomas More & Stephen Duncombe

Open Utopia is the first complete English language edition of Thomas
More's Utopia that honors the primary precept of Utopia itself: that all
property is common property. Open Utopia, licensed under Creative
Commons, is free to copy, to share, to use. But Utopia is more than the
story of a far-off land with no private property. It is a text that
instructs us how to approach texts, be they literary or political, in an
open manner: open to criticism, open to participation, and open to
re-creation. Utopia is no-place, and therefore it is up to all of us to
imagine it.

More information <http://www.minorcompositions.info/?p=487>.

Buy the book here
<http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=702>.

+

Dictionary of Operations

Konrad Becker

Dictionary of Operations is the third in a series of new lexica. After
defining the field of Tactical Reality (2002) and Strategic Reality
(2009), this concise manual to the contemporary cognitive environment
analyzes 72 terms to access the operative logics of social and
anti-social media.

Dictionary of Operationshighlights the subtext of the politics of
information and the underlying framework of media reality in digital
networks. Global conflicts over resources accelerate the social crises
of mediated representation. Cognitive algorithms question the autonomy
of the individual and its freedom of action. Looking into the intimate
relation between knowledge and control it identifies the financial
crisis as a crisis of rationality and claims "Economy as fate is the
swindle of the century."

More information <http://www.autonomedia.org/node/169>.

Buy the book here
<http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=704>.

+

Cannabis Chassidis

Yoseph Leib ibn Mardachya

Is Marijuana kosher? Yes, of course it is. But the better question is:
If I am going to get higher than high, isn't there some useful,
traditional guidance about how to best do so? If not, then what good is
the Torah?

Join Yosef Leib on his travels and studies throughout Jerusalem, New
York, and Rainbow Country, U.S.A., in search of guidance about how
Cannabis and psychedelics have and have not been used in both ancient
and emerging Hassidic traditions, and what the way we have related to
our desires for medicines, gods and intoxicants can teach us about how
we relate to ourselves, our community, and our G-d. The glorious problem
of how what we can learn can set us free, in all kinds of ways.

More information <http://www.autonomedia.org/node/167>.

Buy the book here
<http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=691>.

Love Does Not Make Me Gentle or Kind

Chavisa Woods

"As Flannery O'Connor beckons us into the restless, gothic American
south, and A.M. Homes backs us into bizarre and frightening corners of
our suburbia, Chavisa Woods guides us through a strange, troubling
vision of domestic life in the rural U.S." -- Go Magazine

"The stories in this book are strong as a punch with endings that hit as
hard as a full beer can to the head. I curled up with this book and felt
right at home, grateful that I, too, was out." -- Katharine Arnoldi

More information <http://www.autonomedia.org/node/164>.

Buy the book here
<http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=690>.

+++

That is all for now. Hoping everyone has a fantastic new year, safely
beyond the end of the world, and hopefully moving beyond the end of
capitalism and the planetary work machine. More to follow shortly.

Cheers

Stevphen

--

:: Autonomedia:: Seditious & Delicious ::

http://www.autonomedia.org

http://www.myspace.com/autonomedia