[Autonogram] super-cheap books on the radical tip

Ben at Autonomedia ben at autonomedia.org
Fri Aug 18 16:15:19 EDT 2006

greetings Autonogram subscribers --

* * *
1. Cheap, cheap books
2. A few new items (new Cometbus, old Surregionalist Manifestos,
really old Walter Benjamin...)
3. Recent activity on the Interactivist Info Exchange

* * *

This is just a short note to alert you to a huge sale we're having
through the end of the month at the Autonomedia (online) warehouse.
Nearly every Autonomedia title is discounted from 20-70%, in an
effort to clear some stock off the shelves as well as generate some
cash to pay the printers for our upcoming season of new titles. There
are many, many hidden gems in our warehouse, and we're eager to use
this sale to move them into your hands. Some examples:

"This World We Must Leave," a collection of essays from the
challenging ultraleftist French/Italian writer Jacques Camatte, for
less than $5:
http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=495

"An Existing Better World," a memoir of the Bread and Puppet Theater
by George Dennison, a radical educator and long-term comrade of the
ensemble, for $7.
http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=55

"The Anarchists," by John Henry Mackay, a great novel set in
Victorian London at the time of the Haymarket riots. This book was
originally published in 1891, and reissued by Autonomedia just over a
century later, and it's under-read, to say the least. It's great! And
we've got it on sale for $6 and change!
http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&cPath=71&products_id=7

And there are many more. Go to
http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71
for a full list of Autonomedia books, and please consider picking up
something you haven't heard of, and maybe another copy of a favorite
book as a gift, or a charged object to be left in a public place...

* * *

Some new books you'll find in the bookstore:

* The brand new issue of Cometbus mysteriously showed up in our
warehouse, stinking of newsprint and old beer. This issue includes
interviews with members of TV on the Radio, Low, Neurosis, The Evens,
Casual Dots, and more, as well as bunch of new stories, a NYC Used
Bookstore report, and a 26-page mini-book bound in the same covers.
Your $2 copy awaits at
http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=496

* Walter Benjamin, On Hashish. Benjamin was no stranger to the hash
pipe, and documented his experiments with hashish between 1927 and
1934, investigating what he called "profane illumination." At issue
here, as everywhere in Benjamin's work, is a new way of seeing, a new
connection to the ordinary world. Under the influence of hashish, as
time and space become inseparable, experiences become subtly
stratified and resonant: we inhabit more than one plane in time. What
Benjamin, in his contemporaneous study of Surrealism, calls "image
space" comes vividly to life in this philosophical immersion in the
sensuous. Yowza.
http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=487

* Max Cafard, The Surre(gion)alist Manifesto and Other Writings.
Regarding this inspiring and rollicking brew of surrealism,
anarchism, Chinese philosophy and Nietzschean trouble-making, Andrei
Codrescu wrote the following: "[H]is insurgent writing gave our
readers the sudden frisson that they were in the presence of
something new. One never forgets that frisson when first encountering
Nietzsche, Cioran, Derrida, or Deleuze... The frisson is renewed by
each encounter, but the original feeling of the discovery is
unequalled. This was precisely my epiphany on encountering Max
Cafard's manifesto: I am in a new place." Only $12, and available at
http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=492

* * * * *
Please also make the Interactivist Info Exchange a regular part of
your network browse. Some recent stories posted (at
http://info.interactivist.net) include

A powerful post-ceasefire account of life in Lebanon
http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=06/08/15/236213

A proposal to adopt the anniversary of the 2003 Blackout as an
Unofficial Popular Holiday
http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=06/08/14/0553217

A very interesting call for submissions on the topic of anarchist propaganda
http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=06/08/09/0626217

A provocative essay comparing the tactics of the Israeli Defense
Forces with the philosophical writings of Guy Debord and Deleuze /
Guattari
http://info.interactivist.net/article.pl?sid=06/08/09/0626217

And much more. The easy way to see a table of contents for the Info
Exchange is to register for a (free) account, which gives you greater
control of viewing options, and will bring you one step closer to
co-participating in the Exchange. Please join us!

* * * * *

As always, thanks for reading this, please check out some books in
the bookstore, and if you see something you like, tell someone about
it! Instructions on how to modify your list membership follows this
email.

bests,
Ben Meyers
Autonomedia