[Autonogram] Autonomedia "Marx in Soho" benefit this weekend

Ben at Autonomedia ben at autonomedia.org
Tue Mar 28 10:14:31 EST 2006

Comrades!

This weekend, Autonomedia will be hosting two performances of the Howard
Zinn play "Marx in Soho" at the Brecht Forum in lower Manhattan. The point
of these performances, aside from stirring and stimulating the
revolutionary consciousness of those in attendance, will be to raise
continuing operating funds for Autonomedia, which remains an all-volunteer
non-profit after 23 years of publishing. Yes, even though we're
all-volunteer, we still need to raise money once in a while to help cover
the costs of publishing the important, but not usually lucrative, material
that fuels this project. Please come out if you're in the NYC area, and if
you're nowhere near, thanks anyway, and did I mention we've got books for
sale? Read on!

* * *
Marx in Soho, a benefit performance for Autonomedia, at the Brecht Forum.
Time: Friday and Saturday, March 31 and April 1, 8pm
Place: Brecht Forum, 451 West Street (between Bethune and Bank),
Manhattan. Nearest subway, 8th Avenue L train.
Cost: $10-$25 sliding scale, free book with $25 ticket.

Howard Zinn's "Marx in Soho" portrays the return of Marx roughly a century
after his death. Embedded in a secular afterlife where intellectuals,
artists, and radicals are sent, Marx is given permission by the
administrative committee to return to Soho London to have his say. But
through a bureaucratic mix-up, he winds up in SoHo in New York. From there
the audience is given a rare glimpse of a Marx seldom talked about; Marx
the scholar, the immigrant, the family man. Asking the question "Was Marx
a Marxist?", Zinn casts a divergent light from the totalitarian movements
his theories have long been associated with. Responding to the fall of the
Soviet Union and the conventional perception that Marx's ideas are dead,
Zinn resurrects this controversial historical figure, embraces democracy
and passionately rejects the ideological rigidity of many of his followers
with the phrase "I am not a Marxist." In poignant, funny, and intimate
narrative, Zinn convinces us not only that Marx is not dead, but that his
critique of capitalism remains relevant today.

Cast: Jerry Levy as Karl Marx. Levy is a Professor of Sociology at
Marlboro College in Vermont. He has performed "Marx in Soho" in London,
Paris, Berlin, Bremen, Madrid, Belfast, Derry, Nimes, Montpelier, Santo
Domingo, and throughout North America.

More info at http://www.autonomedia.org

* * *
And while I'm at it, here are some recent titles of note:

Shut Them Down!, a new collection of essays and reflections on the
Gleneagles G8 resistance, and more squarely on how such issues as openness
and horizontality can be generalized into our everyday lives.
http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=473

Neo Phobe, a new novel from Jim Feast with Ron Kolm, in which a serial
rapist terrorizes New York City, forcing a low-rent group of freelancers
to go head-to-head with a Fundamentalist-Industrial Complex in a race to
solve the crimes. Barney Rosset called it "one of the strangest books I've
ever seen."
http://bookstore.autonomedia.org/index.php?main_page=pubs_product_book_info&products_id=478

And at the printer right now,
Marching Plague, the newest title from the Critical Art Ensemble. This is
the book taken by the FBI in Steve Kurtz's 2004 FBI investigation, in
which the CAE dismantles the rhetoric of biological warfare. Available
very soon!

* * *

as always, thanks for supporting Autonomedia, and to change your
Autonogram settings, please use the links at the bottom of this email.

bests,
Ben Meyers,
Autonomedia